What types of therapists does Mequon Clinical Associates have?  
Mequon Clinical Associates is proud of its multidisciplinary approach and likely has the right provider and approach for you.  Basically, there are four types of therapists who get formally educated, trained, and licensed, each with specific backgrounds, philosophies, and techniques. These therapists (also called “psychotherapists” or “counselors”) are psychologists (Psy.D.), psychiatrists (M.D.), marriage and family therapists (M.F.T.), and social workers (L.C.S.W):

PhD/PsyD (Psychologists):
Psychologists (PsyD & PhD) have a doctorate degree and a clinically trained to work with clients. Additionally, some psychologist specialize in diagnostic testing and assessment interpretation.

MD Psychiatrist (Doctor of Medicine):
Psychiatrists are medical doctors who undergo four years of clinical residency in psychiatry after receiving their medical degree and are trained in the medical aspects, biology, assessment, and diagnostic treatment of psychological disorders. Psychiatrists can prescribe psychotropic medications and provider psychotherapy.

LMFT (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist):
A licensed marriage and family therapist has a master’s degree in social work with an emphasis on relationships. Master’s level therapists are usually trained in psychotherapy techniques, but do not study psychological assessment, theory, and research. Master’s students usually either go on toward their doctorate or become general psychotherapists.

LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker):
Practitioners with an L.C.S.W. degree have earned a master’s degree in social work. Social Workers are usually case managers, often referred to as the liaison between the client and the community, helping them in cases of inadequate housing, unemployment, lack of job skills, financial difficulties, disabilities, and substance abuse. Some L.C.S.W.s also work as counselors.